CEDAR PARK, Tex. – Eight NCAA Division I women’s basketball programs will descend upon the heart of Texas this Thanksgiving as the inaugural Lone Star Showcase is held at Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, located on the outskirts of Austin. The event will showcase some of the best of women’s college basketball as seven of the eight teams participated in post-season play including three teams that earned berths in the NCAA Tournament. bd Global, LLC, a Lexington, Ky.-based sports marketing firm, is managing the three-day event.
Defending Atlantic 10-champion George Washington and Big Ten-power Iowa lead the field for the “Red Bracket.” Both teams earned berths in last season’s NCAA Tournament with the Hawkeyes advancing to the Sweet 16. Wright State fell in overtime in the Horizon League title game this past March in its bid to earn a second consecutive NCAA Tournament berth. Local favorite Houston, which will make the three-hour drive to Austin for the event, rounds out the Red Bracket field.
NCAA Tournament-participant Northwestern headlines the “Blue Bracket” but the three other teams in the pool all earned berths to the WNIT. Eastern Washington’s 21 wins last season were the second-most in a single season in school history. East Carolina, with 20-win seasons in each of the past three years, and Big East-power Creighton each bring high merits to the Blue Bracket.
2015 LONE STAR SHOWCASE RED BRACKET
- George Washington (Atlantic 10 Conference) – 29-4 record last season | NCAA Tournament
- Houston (American Athletic Conference) – 6-24 record
- Iowa (Big Ten Conference) – 26-8 record | NCAA Tournament
- Wright State (Horizon League) – 25-9 record | WNIT
2015 LONE STAR SHOWCASE BLUE BRACKET
- Creighton (Big East Conference) – 17-14 record last season | WNIT
- East Carolina (American Athletic Conference) – 22-11 record | WNIT
- Eastern Washington (Big Sky Conference) – 21-12 record | WNIT
- Northwestern (Big Ten Conference) – 23-9 record | NCAA Tournament
“Women’s college basketball is seeing tremendous growth in recent years, and it’s events like these in destination locations that really create a platform that will help continue to grow the sport,” said bd Global President Brooks Downing, whose company manages a similar event in Ft. Myers, Fla. “Many thanks to Sammy Wallace and his team at Cedar Park Center, as well as the local communities of both Austin and Cedar Park, for embracing the Lone Star Showcase and making it possible to bring these teams to Texas.”
“Cedar Park Center is delighted to host the inaugural Lone Star Showcase, and we look forward to three exciting days featuring some of the best women’s college basketball teams in the country,” said Cedar Park Center VP of Booking and Marketing/Assistant General Manager Sammy Wallace. “We are excited to work with Brooks Downing and his staff at bd Global on what we feel will quickly become one of the top destination events in women’s college basketball.”
The action tips on Thursday, Nov. 26 (Thanksgiving Day) at 11 a.m. at Cedar Park Center. The three game days feature an afternoon session (with two games at 11 a.m. & 1:30 p.m. featuring Red Bracket games) and an evening session (games at 5 p.m. and 7:30 featuring the Blue Bracket games). Tickets are good for both games of a given session.
THURSDAY, NOV. 26
- 11:00 a.m. – Wright State vs. Iowa
- 1:30 p.m. – George Washington vs. Houston
- 5:00 p.m. – Eastern Washington vs. Northwestern
- 7:30 p.m. – Creighton vs. East Carolina
FRIDAY, NOV. 27
- 11:00 a.m. – Houston vs. Wright State
- 1:30 p.m. – Iowa vs. George Washington
- 5:00 p.m. – East Carolina vs. Eastern Washington
- 7:30 p.m. – Northwestern vs. Creighton
SATURDAY, NOV. 28
- 11:00 a.m. – Iowa vs. Houston
- 1:30 p.m. – George Washington vs. Wright State
- 5:00 p.m. – Creighton vs. Eastern Washington
- 7:30 p.m. – East Carolina vs. Northwestern
The Westin Austin at The Domain to Serve Official Host Resort
All eight teams in the Lone Star Showcase will stay at The Westin Austin at The Domain. The property boasts a wide range of great features and amenities including 341 luxurious rooms and suites featuring the signature Westin Heavenly Bed® and Heavenly Bath® products, as well as the Westin Workout Fitness Studio with state-of-the-art equipment and an outdoor pool.
Travel Package and Ticket Information
Tickets for the 2015 Lone Star Showcase go on-sale to the public on Aug. 21 at 10 a.m. ET at CedarParkCenter.com or through Ticketmaster.
WorldTEK, a full-service travel management company with more than 40+ years of experience, is the official travel package provider for the Lone Star Showcase. Information on fan travel packages can be found on CedarParkBasketball.com.
For complete information, visit www.cedarparkbasketball.com or follow on Twitter at @LSShowcase.